So I recently chose to ride on a train to go to New York. I was not just attending a family member’s wedding, but this lady is my best friend and cousin. She is super special to me so I was not going to miss it. Along with the fact that she asked me to be the matron of honor.
Anyway, I chose the train because it is so quiet and it gives me time to think, to enjoy the sights along the way, and get some writing done without interruption. If I get on a plane, I miss what is between where I am and where I am going. If I drive, I also miss the journey along the way because I have to watch the road and there is no peace and quiet with either of those. Now if you have never rode on a train, there are some things that you need to know in order for the ride to be all that you want it to be.
- Tickets ready! Make sure you print out an e-ticket or have you ticket in hand or on your cellphone. There is nothing worse that having to shuffle around with a line of people around you. When most people are traveling using public transportation, they are rarely patient.
- Ask for a window seat, if possible. I love getting the window seat so that I can take pictures along the way and have a little more privacy. We do not always get what we want if the train is full, so be ready to get friendly with your neighbor because the outlets are near the windows.
- Keep Warm. If your destination is over 5 hours, I would bring a pillow and blanket, or a jacket. It is freezing in there! I mean like hospital COLD! I am not sure why they keep it so cold, but it is. I bring my travel pillow and a throw blanket and that keeps me comfy as I nod off.
- Bring snacks!! They do have a cafe on the train but you do not know what car you will be in and how far you will have to go to get that $2.00 bag of chips so bring some snacks, a sandwich or something to get you through the trip. Of course, have a couple of bottles of water. Keep in mind you are sharing 1-2 bathrooms with a car load of people and the bathrooms aren’t always in good working order.
- Laptop or Tablet. I know most people will have a phone with them but having your laptop or tablet gives you a bigger screen to look at movies and read or write.
- Privacy Screens. For your laptops, tablets, or phones. You may have a nosy neighbor looking over your shoulder trying to find some entertainment. I like to write on the train and it probably is not anything that can’t be seen by others, but at the same time….my business truly is my own.
- Books and Magazines. When you get bored with screen time, you can always pull out a book or magazine to pass the time.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet. This is a great time to just enjoy not have to be anywhere or doing anything at that time. Take the time to make this “me” time. Listen to your favorite music in your headphones, meditate, sleep, do some research or shopping. Whatever it is, you are doing it on your own time.
2 Comments Add yours
You know I’ve never thought of taking a trip by train! LOL seriously, I will have to do this 😂😂
I never wanted to but now I use it as a mini vacation 😜