While I was out of work with the shutdown, I have to say that some of the free time I had dragged! I did enjoy the quiet though. There was plenty of time to learn more about me and the things that I love. Now, a lot of the time there was nothing to do! How many times can you wax your floors and rearrange furniture anyway?
Since being back to work, I realized that the free time was good for me. I am now taking an extra day off and working on doing more things that I love. Life is not all about making more money (who said that?). This pandemic has really showed me what and who is really important my life. I want to live a full life and enjoy my time here.
I don’t want to be someone who does nothing but work so changing my schedule is going to give me time to find some new hobbies and bring back some old, if I am lucky. And you never know, hobbies can turn into passions that make you money. Just saying.
What to Do
It can be hard to figure out what to do during off days and evenings. It may sound a little corny if someone mentions finding a hobby to you, especially if it doesn’t involve drinking at a happy hour or two. Hobbies are not always things like knitting. Hobbies don’t have to be time fillers that are done between the things you have to do. A hobby can become a passion and even a stream of revenue that gets you excited about life again. They are important because they can boost your quality of life. Isn’t that something that we all want and need right now?
So if you can’t think of a passion that you have for anything, what do you do? Where would you even start? We all have passions. Maybe you just haven’t had time to think about anything else but your current situation. You may need some help trying to discover yours…again.
How do We Get Started?
- Think back to when you were a child. What moved you back then? Those were the times when we were all wild and free. We only did things that we really loved. You may still love those things today. What did you collect? Did you like bike riding, hunting, fishing, tree/wall climbing, painting…too many to name!
- Try something new! Think about the things you see others enjoying and check in with yourself. Is that something you may love to try? Sometimes doing something like taking a stroll downtown or in a craft store may get you thinking about some thing you may want to try. Pinterest!!! That is one of my favorite inspirations. What captures your attention? Cooking? Scrapbooking? Try something and see what comes out of it.
- Is there a past hobby you forgot about? Look around your home at the projects you started but have yet to complete. Did you love taking pictures? Learning a new language? I bet if you think back to those things and pick up your camera, paint brush and whatever made you feel good back then, it will change things for you.
- What are your guilty pleasures? What do you buy or stop to look at every time you go out shopping? Fashion trends, sewing, scented candles, fine art? Try painting, cooking, making your own candles or blogging about fashion.
- What do you want to change about yourself? This is a good place to start! Some people don’t really want to do things that serve no purpose but fun… Although I am not one of them, I do understand. If you are one of those people who are always trying to hit goals or better yourself, make that hobby fit into that criteria.
So, Let’s Begin!
Whatever it is that you think about doing, make sure it is something you loved so much that you forgot to eat while doing it. Or maybe it scared you so much you peed a little. lol. Those are the things that excite us and get us out of bed.
Remember those things and go after them! Your passion may be just for fun. It very well may be for improvement or because you’re simply good at creating. or solving something. Whatever it is, may it keep you up at night, enthrall you…make you pee a little.
The hobbies I am trying are getting me outside and have nothing to do with what I do for living. They make me feel creative and really fulfill me. I am gardening, learning a little photography and writing. I feel like these things will enhance my life and give me a new sense of purpose. Feels super good too