I am sure that most people have heard of all the wonderful things that apple cider vinegar can do for your body and hair. It has been labeled a “miracle” natural remedy for things like reducing blood pressure and blood sugars, weight loss, warding off cancer, a great clay mask for persons with oily skin and adding shine to your hair when used as a rinse and many more….. Not all of these have been proven or supported by science as of yet but many people swear by their results. I have to admit that I have used it and I was impressed by my results.
Now I am not about to tell you that it is a bad idea to use ACV. I am still consuming it to this day, but I am going to say that too much of anything is gonna cause some issues eventually. Consuming too much ACV can lead to some adverse effects…..these to name a few…
- Stomach issues– If you have ulcers, inflammation, or a sensitive stomach, ACV may aggravate them. Drinking too much of it can also cause erosion to happen to your stomach lining, not to mention cramping and some frequent not-so-pleasant visits to the bathroom
- Tooth Decay–The vinegar is acidic so too much of it will cause erosion that will weaken your enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Temporary weight loss–We have all seen the ads and interviews where celebrities have claimed to have lost weight drinking ACV, but we have to know that it is not a magic pill..or drink. Drinking ACV alone can reduce water weight but we all know that losing water weight is temporary, especially us women. All it takes is a cycle and that burning drink will be all for naught. IF you use ACV as a dressing though, it can be a part of a healthy effort to maintain your weight.
- Lower your potassium– this drink can cause your potassium levels to drop. This can be bad for people who are on diuretic medications for their blood pressure. Low potassium can cause problems for you like severe leg cramps or stomach cramps, tingling or numbness to name a few.
- Appetite issues- There are people out there that try to use ACV as an appetite suppressant but I talked to my nutritionist and she says it can backfire on you and cause excessive hunger because you are not taking in calories.
It is never a good idea for us to starve ourselves. There are so many fad diets and weight loss methods that may work for one person but not for you. Find a healthy way to lose weight that will not cause you to lose teeth or limbs. I am trying to use the old food pyramid and see what that and some daily exercise is gonna so for me. I am happy that I get to talk to people about these things to pass them on. You never know who needs the information that you have learned today!
No I will say this….ACV does do wonders for detoxing your scalp and adding shine to your hair. Use it as a rinse before you shampoo so that you don’t go outside smelling like you have hygiene issues…I’m just saying..